Thursday, January 29, 2009

Granola

Granola
(not sure who gave me this, but the notes are from her)

Ingredients:

6 cups rolled oats

1 cup untoasted wheat germ

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp grated nutmeg (ground works just fine)

1⁄2 cup soy flour (regular flour I think is ok too-that’s what I used so we will see!)

3 Tbsp sesame seeds

3 Tbsp sunflower seeds

1 Tbsp vanilla extract

1⁄4 cup safflower oil

1⁄4 cup mild flavored honey or malt syrup

1⁄2 cup raisins

(I also added just a little sprinkling of brown sugar and a little more honey to the top before I put it in the oven)



Directions:

Mix oats, wheat germ, spices, flour, seed and vanilla in large bowl. In separate bowl, combine oil and honey. Stir and pour over grain mixture. Toss thoroughly; spread on cookie sheet to bake for 2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes. Add raisins during the last 20 minutes



When I added the honey and the oil it didn’t seem to coat the grain mixture all that well at all, which is why I added more honey. Maybe one of you experts can chime in and let me know if that’s normal when making granola? I am an amateur. J